The Gall of it All

Timothy Tyler Timothy.Tyler at bbs.oit.unc.edu
Tue Jul 7 19:38:39 EST 1992

In article <01GLV3QYJWJ48WW5MS at PEARL.TUFTS.EDU> GELLMORE at PEARL.TUFTS.EDU (BIOHEAD) writes:
>Plant galls, even those with grubs (larvae) in them, can be caused by
>many classes of insects, the most common ones being wasps or flies
>(Diptera -the sawflies). But even aphids can produce galls on grape plants.

sawflies are members of the order Hymenoptera, which includes ants, bees
& wasps.

>A highly descriptive account of plant gall phenomenology is provided in
> Mani, M.S. 1964. Ecology of Plant Galls. Junk Publishers. The Hague. 434 pp.

Although I have not read the book mentioned above, I did take time to
look into the possiblility that North American grapes might be hosts to
gall forming insects.  My source was the Catalog of Hymenoptera of North
America, North of Mexico.  The search through the index suggested that
there were no known gall formers found on grapes.
Two seed parasites are know to occur on grapes.  Both are members of the
Hymenoptera, and both belong to the scientific family Eurytomidae.

The seed parasites are:  Prodecatoma cooki (Howard), which infest seeds
of wild and cultivated grapes, and also infest seeds of the plant
Parthenocissus quinqefolia.  The other wasp recorded as infesting grape
seeds is Evoxysoma vitis (Saunders).  I hope this helps.
Timothy Tyler

--
   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information