Assertions re plant "cellularity"

frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Tue Jul 7 15:02:42 EST 1992

In article <1992Jul7.165609.2115 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk> ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri (Tony Travis) writes:
>In article <Mon.6Jul92.2232.bionet-news at uk.ac.daresbury> you write:
>:
>: [...]
>: What are the fundamental characters common to all things we
>: categorize as plants, whether unicellular or multicellular?
>
>A plant is an organism that has the ability to use sunlight to feed on
>C02 from the air using water and minerals from the soil.
>
>	Tony
>
>--
>Dr. A.J.Travis,                       |  Tony Travis
>Rowett Research Institute,            |  JANET: <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>
>Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,            |  other: <ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk>
>Aberdeen, AB2 9SB. UK.                |  phone: 0224-712751

As in all other areas of biology, there are exceptions. A number of
parasitic plants have lost the ability to photosynthesize. Of particular
interest is Epifagus virginiana, whose plastid genome, which is only
71Kb in length, has lost many of the genes necessary for photosynthesis.
See dePamphilis & Palmer, Nature 348:337-339.

Brian Fristensky                |
Department of Plant Science     | "Ya don't have to be a rocket surgeon
University of Manitoba          |  ta know who's who!"
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    |
frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca          |
Office phone:   204-474-6085    |  - the incomparable Don Cherry
FAX:            204-261-5732    |