General botany courses

David W. Kramer kramer.8 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 12 09:20:38 EST 2002

Christine Maxwell,
I teach Plant Biology 101-102 at Ohio State.  It is a two-quarter (10 weeks
each) course for NON-MAJORS.  They syllabi are on the web at
http://www.mansfield.ohio-state.edu/~dkramer/siteindex.html
The syllabus for 101 is for this quarter and the one still on the web for
102 is for Spring 2002 but you can get the idea of the way the material is
divided.  You will see that we do nothing with the fungi.  A tough decision
that I sometimes regret but something had to go.  In the plant diversity
section we stick primarily to a comparison of sexual reproduction in the
various groups.  I use the Stern textbook from McGraw-Hill.

If you have questions, please ask.

Dave Kramer

>Dear Plant-edders,
>
>For a number of years I have been giving a "Biology of Plants" course at
>the second year level at Trent. It is basically an introductory full
>year (24 weeks) course, covering the plant kingdom, but including
>cyanobacteria, algae and fungi, along with some anatomy, and a six week
>section of plant physiology. I have been very happy with the course
>material, and the preparation it gives students for upper year botany
>courses.
>
>Two of us have been teaching the course, but have been asked (told!) to
>make the course into two 12 week half courses. The dilemma we face is
>that under the present system, it takes us 14-16 weeks to reach the
>flowering plants. Clearly the course does not split easily into two
>parts.  I would be interested in knowing how others have or would divide
>material into two 12 week sessions. We plan on using the same text
>(Raven, Evert and Eichorn) for both halves, and perhaps making the first
>half a prerequisite for the second.
>
>The other problem will be finding titles for the courses.
>
>We would welcome any advice.
>Christine.
>
>---

David W. Kramer, Ph.D.
Asst. Prof. of Evolution, Ecology, and Organismal Biology
Ohio State University at Mansfield
1680 University Drive
Mansfield, OH  44906-1547
Phone:  (419) 755-4344      FAX:  (419) 755-4367
e-mail:  kramer.8 at osu.edu
http://www.mansfield.ohio-state.edu/~dkramer/