Plant how to questions

Mon Jun 8 14:22:04 EST 1998

At 1:59 PM -0400 6/8/98, Jon Monroe wrote:

>Any more thoughts?  Please reply to the group.

Jon,

I don't know whether it is possible, but one feature
of many mail-lists I am on is restricting access to
subscribers only. No messages can come from outside
the subscription list.  Upon subscription the new
subscriber gets a document with the mission statement
(BRIEF AND TO THE POINT) of the mail-list and instructions
about subscribing/unsubscribing, nettiquette, etc.
The restriction is handled completely via software and
so requires no extra work on a moderator's part.

Moreover, the software sends a message to "outsiders" who
attempt to post to the list telling them about the
restriction to posting, and how to subscribe to the list
if they indeed are interested in the focus of the group.

The list that I serve (fernet) works in precisely this
way using Macjordomo software.

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479