need pollen germ. and growth method

Barry Meatyard Barry.Meatyard at CSV.WARWICK.AC.UK
Fri Sep 27 03:30:23 EST 1996

On 26th September Kenneth Helm wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>A colleague of mine and I are looking for a relatively simple method for
>germinating pollen.  Can any of you point us to good species, culture
>techniques, and illustrative experiments that we might use for undergrad lab
>exercises?  thanks much, Ken
>
>Date Sent:  26-SEP-1996 10:46:23
>  Kenneth W. Helm                       Internet: helm at siena.edu
>  Assistant Professor, Biology             Phone: 518-783-2947
>                                             FAX: 518-783-2986
>
>Snail mail:
>
>Department of Biology
>Siena College
>Loudonville, NY
>12211

I suggest you start at the SAPS web site at http://nasc.nott.ac.uk:8100

This gives a simple and reliable hanging drop technique using old film can lids.
The technique was developed for use with rapid brassica pollen but it works
equally well with other species. Many Hyacinthus spp and relatives seem to
grow exceptionally fast - try Puschkinia. Lillies and Tradescantia also
grow well.

Now, Do pollen tubes show directional growth with respect to the presence
of stigmatic tissue? Does the pollen of self sterile flowers germinate in
the presence of 'self' stigmas? There is a suggestion that Ca+ ions are
involved - is this verifiable?  Is there a diurnal rhythm in pollen growth?
etc etc

Answers please!! (and any more questions gratefully received) There are a
lot of potential undergrad projects here.

Happy germinating,

Barry

Dr.Barry Meatyard                       Tel: 01203 524228
Science and Plants for Schools          Fax: 01203 523237
Institute of Education                  Email: barry.meatyard at warwick.ac.uk
University of Warwick
Coventry
CV4 7AL