In search of ideas for arboretum.

doug jensen doug_jensen at SMTPGTWY.BEREA.EDU
Tue Sep 24 21:05:31 EST 1996

Subject: In search of ideas for arboretum.

Hello - I am a student a Franklin and Marshall College who is trying to set up
an arboretum on our campus. By this, I hope to label the plants species on
our campus with small tags.

There are a few problems which I am now facing:

-----My 2-cents..... is that plates directly attached to the trees are better.
They are less maintenance, as noone will mow or weed-wack them down.  No kids
will knock them over, etc.  I suppose the trees could get some infection from
any nails  that go in past the outer phloem, though.  I don't know if hammering
nails into the trees causes them pain; perhaps the person who posted recently
about plants needing art can answer that....
    For shrubs, I have seen plates hung around basal branches.  These can be put
in the back of the shrub so they are unobtrusive and won't be disturbed, or you
can put them in a more prominant place.  Beware of campus pruners
(groundskeepers)!! They rarely know much about plants besides which branches are
sticking out more than the others.
        For ID's, start with tree/shrub field books, but keep in mind that some
are not very complete, and campuses have a reputation for planting weird
species.  Good luck with any horticultural varieties.  They can be very tough to
ID past genus.

Doug Jensen
CPO 821
Berea College