"Oily sheen on water"

John Penny j.penny at bell.ac.uk
Thu Sep 19 07:40:43 EST 1996

I read once (sorry I've forgotten the reference) that these oily
sheens are produced through the anaerobic decomposition of plant waxes
and other constituents. When I am out walking in the hills, I often
observe them in boggy bits near field gateways and the like. I presume
this is because they produced during decomposition of faecal material
produced by the cattle or sheep in the field.

John Penny
Dept of Biological & chemical Sciences,
Bell College of Technology, Hamilton ML3 0JB, Strathclyde, Scotland
j.penny at bell.ac.uk