[Parasitology] Re: Can someone refer me to a parasitologist?

JEDilworth via parasite%40net.bio.net (by bactitech At nospamhortonsbay.com)
Tue Jan 2 01:46:45 EST 2007

If it is scabies you must get rid of any stuffed animals or pillows. Wash
everything with hot water. I'm not sure of the treatment for your skin.
Check with the doc. They can do skin scrapings and look for the mites under
a microscope. You CAN see scabies microscopically. Scabies is extremely
contagious. The skin scrapings are usually done with a scalpel blade and
mineral oil overlay to prevent them from becoming airborne. The skin mixed
with the oil is left on the scalpel, sealed up in a glass tube and sent to a
lab for microscopic observation. OR, the oil is put onto a microscope slide,
coverslipped, and sent into the lab. Most docs aren't able to do this
procedure very well in their offices, unfortunately, and they screw up the
specimen collection.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Scabies

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology

news:mailman.587.1167584059.19683.parasite At net.bio.net...