amoeba

Henrik Liljegren henrik.liljegren at hem.utfors.se
Wed Apr 3 10:59:00 EST 2002

Hi,

I had several amoeba infections when I was living in Pakistan. First one I
got summer 1998 and it was treated and after that my stool test did not
show any amoeba. But after that during the years 1998-2000 I had few times
amoeba and between infections it did not show in stool test. Couple of
times I had all the familiar symptoms but the test did not show any amoeba.
In winter 98-99 I got asymmetric pains in my joints. Starting from my back
and then my thumb and then foot and last knee on the other leg where
swollen and very painful, in laboratory test only infection marker (CR) was
high all the other test were normal. I did not have any amoebas on my
stools at that time so my joints were only treated with high doses of
normal painkillers. I had problems about a month or one and half and then I
was fine. When I returned home summer 2000 in rutine test (sept 2000) was
amoeba histolytica found in my stools even I had not had any symptoms for
several weeks. Now when I was returning Pakistan my incurance company will
not give me an incurance but are saying that my joint pains were caused by
amoeba and I will be in great risk of getting cronical joint pains if I get
amoeba again.
Do anyone know anything about this kind of a problems with amoeba? I am
greatful of all information I can get.

Maarit

---