Attention Speakers at ASP/SON99

Howard Ferris hferris at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jun 29 09:50:38 EST 1999

                        We encourage speakers to bring their slides to the
meeting in Monterey already arranged in a carousel.  Since there will be
four sessions running concurrently at most times, we wish to avoid instances
of "carousel rage" caused by all available carousels being in use.
	Speakers are responsible for placing their slides in a slide carousel.
	If you do not have your own carousel, you may borrow a carousel from the
Santa Monica Room ('Speaker-Ready' room). To insure that everyone has a
carousel when needed (we only have 50 or so carousels), please do the following:
a) If you have a morning talk, do not take a carousel from the Santa Monica
Room until 5 PM on the preceding day.
b) If you have an afternoon talk, do not take a carousel until the morning
of your talk.
c) When the session in which you talk is completed, immediately remove your
slides from the borrowed carousel and give the empty carousel to the
projectionist. The projectionist will return carousels to the Santa Monica
Room.
To ensure compliance, non-uniformed CAROUSEL POLICE may detain and
interrogate you in the hotel lobby and will randomly inspect hotel rooms in
pre-dawn raids.
	If your slides are thick (European style slides are sometimes thicker than
those from the USA), use a 'Universal' carousel (usually black rather than
gray) or the slides may stick.
	Preview your slides in the Santa Monica Room to ensure they are in order
and properly oriented.
	Once your slides are in the carousel (whether the carousel is your own or
is borrowed from the Santa Monica Room), label the side with your name and
talk number 'A. S. Smith #549'. Use masking tape and a marker pen (available
in the Santa Monica Room) to label your carousel.
	Give your labeled carousel to the projectionist in the appropriate meeting
room 10 - 15 minutes before the session starts. This will help the
projectionist keep the talks/slides in order.