Head Lice

Dan Sheridan dsheridan at headlice.org
Mon Jun 21 15:33:01 EST 1999

This is Dan Sheridan from the NPA.  We have found very little in the area of
chemical prevention that has proven itself effective.  The best measure of
prevention lies within education and policy.  Encourage your local schools
to adopt "The No-Nit Policy" which encourages the temporary exclusion of
affected individuals.  Also educate your kids about the risks of head lice
and how they can get it.

In regards to treatment of existing cases, the most reliable method is
manual removal.  We recommend getting a good nit comb (unfortunately there
are lots of bad ones) and comb through the hair every day.  You should keep
this up until you have 4 or 5 consecutive days in which you have not seen
any nits (lice eggs).

The use of pesticidal shampoos can have hazardous effects especially when
the products are used repeatedly.  We find that whatever benefit you recieve
from your first treatment is really the best you will ever see.  Meaning
that using the product twice is no better than using it once.  Too often
parents think that a treatment failure is a result of their own doing and
not due to the lice being resistance to the treatment.

For more information about lice treatments, prevention, managing an
outbreak, or where to acquire a nit comb in your area call the NPA at
(781)449-6487 or visit us on the web at www.gotheadlice.org.

news:375BD04B.4C0DBC5C at hooked.net...