Tapeworms

Charles T. Faulkner ctfaulkner at utk.edu
Tue Jun 15 22:35:45 EST 1999

Dr. Peter W. Pappas <pappas.3 at osu.edu> wrote in article

> There's no answer to this question since "tapeworms" are not a reportable
> disease (i.e., no one keeps track of the infections).  Moreover, there
are a
> number of epidemiological factors that determine who is even at risk, and
> many (perhaps most) infections go unnoticed (and, thus, undiagnosed)
since
> they are usually asymptomatic.  I would guess that, on the average,
tapeworm
> infections in the US are uncommon.

	Kappus et al (1994, Am Jour Trop Med Hyg 50:705-713) estimated that
Hymenolepis nana had a prevalence of 0.4% based on data complied by state
public health laboratories.  I agree that the asymptomatic/undiagnosed
aspect of these infections is certainly a factor in this low prevalence
figure.
--
Charles T. Faulkner, Ph.D.
<ctfaulkner at utk.edu>