lab advice for mission trip

idtech at my-deja.com idtech at my-deja.com
Tue Jul 27 16:34:17 EST 1999

I am a Med Tech who has been invited to participate on

 a two week medical service trip to Central America in February.

The Docs I will be assisting anticipate that I will be doing mostly
parasite exams, to include: Wright/geimsa stain, AFB stain, Gram's stain
Iodine preps, and possibly PVA smears. I would appreciate hearing from
anyone who has "been there, done that" in a low technology setting. I am
 interested in advice about everything from transporting the necessary
volatiles on a commercial airline, to "quick and dirty" methods for when
 I can't take along everything I want. The site is an established
 mission, which I'm told has a microscope, but not much else, so I will
 have to hand carry virtually everything I need. I'd rather not reinvent
 the wheel if I can pick someone else's brain instead. Thanks for any
advice.

KS

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/