Toxoplasma gondii

Dr. Peter W. Pappas pappas.3 at osu.edu
Sun Dec 26 07:06:23 EST 1999

Toxoplasma gondii, protozoan parasite, causes toxoplasmosis.  The parasite
has a world wide distribution.  Surveys suggest that about 30% of the US
population is infected, and in some countries (e.g., France) as many as
80-90% of the population may be infected.  This is not "new" news - it's
been known for many years.  It seems that in a vast majority of cases, the
parasite causes little if any pathology, but there are exceptions in which
the parasite can be virulent.  Humans can get the infection from cats, but
it is probably more likely that most humans get infected by eating raw or
undercooked meat that is infected.

You can find out more about Toxoplasma gondii at the following address:

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~parasite/toxoplasma.html

--
Dr. Peter W. Pappas
e-mail: pappas.3 at osu.edu