S.Mansoni,T.Ocellata, & nematodes - in me.

Patrick Spangler pspangle at california.com
Sat Dec 4 22:54:40 EST 1999

I have posted before about my problems with "Swimmer's itch."  A
few questions...

1.   Do cercariae other than those of Schistosoma Mansoni have
crescent shaped tails?

Some cercariae carcasses that got trapped in the sun tan lotion
before they could penetrate my scalp were ~0.3 mm long and have
crescent shaped tails, as shown in the picture at

http://www.hope.edu/~cblankes/itch/faq.html#4

I have also seen what look like S. Mansoni carcasses in the
phlegm I cough up in the morning.

2.   The bodies of cercaria and the schistosomula of S. Mansoni
and of Trichobilharzia Ocellata are both ~0.3 mm long.  What
schistosomula have black snake-like heads ~0.2 mm in length and
width with bodies ~0.08 mm in diameter and 1-3 mm long?

3.   Are there are nematodes that are human parasites?  Or are
they only parasites of plants and other worms?  Nematodes have
been in with the trematodes that caused my "swimmer's itch" from
the beginning (September 28, 1999), but I only recognized them
on December 2, 1999.  Most of the nematodes are coming in and out
of trematode carcasses, although a few are coiled in circles or
figure eights.  Can I expect the nematodes to go away when the
trematode carcasses finally work themselves out of my system?

Thank you for any answers you can give.
Patrick Spangler