NOT AN AD, REALLY

Dr. Peter W. Pappas pappas.3 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 20 12:52:48 EST 1999

I thought it appropriate to indicate in the "subject" that this is not an
advertisement.  It seems that bionet.parasitology, and newsgroups in
general, and becoming nothing more than depositories for junk advertising.
So please read on --- I'm not going to try and sell you anything or ask that
you visit a web site for who knows what reason.

This request is not intended for only parasitologists, but since this is the
newsgroup that I read most often, and since I could not find a single
newsgroup that would be more appropriate, I'll post this message here.
Hopefully, biologists in other disciplines will come across this message and
respond.

If  you were teaching a one term (semester or quarter) course in NON-MAJORS
biology (about 30 lectures), what biological principles would you cover
(listed in order of "importance")?  In what sequence would you discuss these
principles?

I invite readers to post their responses in this newsgroup.  Perhaps we can
generate a "lively discussion" of what and how to teach students enrolled in
(but not necessarily interested in) an introductory biology course.  Surely,
this will be more interesting than reading about cable unscramblers, how to
earn $20,000 a month (or is it a week?) working at home, or how to find XXX
pictures.

Pete Pappas

--
Dr. Peter W. Pappas