Taxonomic status of Pneumocystis

James Mahaffy mahaffy at dordt.edu
Mon Feb 16 11:18:18 EST 1998

Folks,

It had been my impression that Pneumocystis had definitely been moved
to the fungi.  But the latest edition of Roberts and Janovy 1996 list it
under the Family Cryptosporididae with its "taxonomic position still
undetermined" and some discussion on why it is sometimes classified as a
fungi.

It is not critical, but I will be talking about the chap Wed to my
Zoology Class and it would be helpful to know if it has been removed
from the protistids.

Thanks

James F. Mahaffy                   e-mail: mahaffy at dordt.edu
Sioux Center, Iowa 51250