looking for info on Tritrichomonas mobilensis

Lance C. Russell lrussell at usouthal.campus.mci.net
Thu Feb 12 00:12:33 EST 1998

Brent,

I work in the lab that originally isolated this organism.  The natural host
was identified as the  Bolivian-type squirrel monkey where it has been
implicated in diarrheal disease.  The question of relative pathogenicity has
not been completely answered.  The standard "subcutaneous mouse assay" that
is used to investigate the pathogenicity of trichomonads.  _T. mobilensis_
was unexpectedly cultured from the liver, lung, and spleen (depending on the
size of the innoculum) (Culberson DE, Scimeca JM, Gardner WA Jr., Abee CR.
Pathogenicity of Tritrichomonas mobilensis: subcutaneous inoculation in
mice.  J Parasitol 74:774-780, 1988).  _T. mobilensis_ has also been reported
in the colon of the tree shrew _Tupaia belangeri_ (Lab Anim Sci 45:533-7).

If I can be of futher assistance, let me know.

Cordially,
Lance

Lance C. Russell, MS
Department of Pathology