floating stool

alloprimate Manager robert.s.lewis at gte.net
Mon Dec 21 18:50:56 EST 1998

thomas wrote:

> please re-post the last messages on this... i missed them many thanks

Subject:
             Floating Stool
        Date:
             Mon, 14 Dec 1998 02:43:00 +0100
       From:
             yersina at hotmail.com
 Newsgroups:
             bionet.parasitology

What type (if any) of parasits are known to cause floating stool ?

             Re: Floating Stool
        Date:
             13 Dec 1998 18:52:21 -0800
       From:
             Richard.Speare at jcu.edu.au (Richard Speare)
 Newsgroups:
             bionet.parasitology

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 yersina at hotmail.com wrote:

> What type (if any) of parasits are known to cause floating stool ?

Floating stool can be an indication of malabsorption producing
steatorrhoea (fat in the faeces). Giardia can sometimes cause
malabsorption. However, do not diagnose giardiasis on this clinical sign.

If you suspect gastrointestinal parasites, get the stool specifically
tested for them by a reliable medical laboratory.

Rick Speare

Department of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
James Cook University
Townsville
AUSTRALIA

Phone:  -61-(0)7-47-225700