Way to show mites

A. Kimo Morris kimomorris at sprintmail.com
Wed Apr 29 19:23:13 EST 1998

James!  Gerry Krantz (resident acarologist at Oregon State U.,
Entomology) always used the edge of a microscope slide to scrape the
critters off the skin just above his eyebrows.  Yes, they are a bit
strange looking, but then again, everything about the acari is strange
(e.g. the fact that there are mites smaller than some protozoans boggles
my mind).  They have invaded virtually every major niche (except the
ocean, oddly enough), and every major suborder (except one) has
parasitic examples.  Perhaps we should start a discussion on how varied
parasitic mites are...
- Kimo
____________________________________
A. Kimo Morris  --  Scientist