health promotion program

M & A Bailey mbailey at ozemail.com.au
Tue Apr 28 11:00:16 EST 1998

In article <3537CD95.150C at uq.net.au>, Piralko at uq.net.au wrote:

I am a student, studying public health in Brisbane, Australia. I am
required to write an assignment on a health promotion program. As a
parasitologist, I wish to make this my subject. Can anyone tell me of
such a project, preferably in Brisbane, or at least QLd, as I need first
hand information about the goals, procedures and outcomes,

Thank you

Robyn Boreham

Dear Robyn, I read your request. I'm Peter Hobson's friend, Anita with the
head lice enquiries, remember!? What a coincidence I read your newsgp ad.
I don't know - you may want to base your subject on  government project
which is possibly flawed, (unless you critically evaluate it worts and
all) BUT that's exactly what's being done at the moment in Brisbane. I've
been in close contact with the southern district Bris public health unit,
and one lady - Elvia Ramerez is in charge of facilitating a project on
head lice education. How far she'll get without a certain amount of
funding for research I don't know, but that's exactly what's being done,
right now. Prof Paul Prociv was at one of the meetings recently. She
believes that without any funding for research she wants to dig up enough
anecdotal evidence from the community health nurses, and others, to at
least convince the government to at least change the educational pamphlet
to give the public some more options for treatment. I hope she gets it
right. I'm in the process of giving her my info, evidence from informal
community surveys (in the absence of any government funding current or
relevent research!), and references now!
   In the meantime, I'm hoping someone will take the torch off me, because
I've got so much info on the ins and outs of head lice and the political
dealings of it (including the Qld goverment conceptualization of it in
policy and how it has based it's research and advice and on what sources),
and also the medline refs that Qld formulated policy on back in the 80's
and how other states in Australia have also followed the same suit (albeit
questionably). If you're looking for a complex issue with interesting
developments, this is for you.
   Email me back if you're interested, or ring 33495612.
(Just aside, P.S. I'm also advertising for someone to start up a Brisbane
head lice or Aust. Head lice organization or something!, seeing as we
don't have one. I've got all the info to get started. I want to write my
lice journal article. But meanwhile, I've lobbied different bodies (eg
Therapeutic Goods Admin , the health minister, etc) and got all the
angles, all the fobbing off, and all the scientific literature on which to
go on!)