Whip Worm

Birdie birdies at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 31 22:17:28 EST 1997

Omar O. Barriga wrote:

> Dear Birdie:

Although your friend COULD have gotten the infection from a Chilean peach,
 there is a better chance that she got it locally, from any fecally
contaminated ground vegetable or water he/she ate or drunk. Fruits that grow
high on a tree are not common sources of whipworm infection and the
infection is not particularly abundant in Chile.

Birdie wrote:

Omar, I have been trying to determine if the peach was a natural
host (they do love sweets) or if a field-worker had it and ova ended
up on the peach skin from their unwashed hands.

My friend is certain it was the peach as it was the only thing she ate
unwashed and she could identify as the source.

The question then is this: can the ova be deposited inside the
flesh of  a fruit or vegetable? Without any signs of an adult worm?

In otherwords, if a tree is irrigated with contaiminated water? Also,
can birds be hosts? They could deposit ova on trees.

I tend to lean towards the food handling field-worker, but I am
new at this.

Omar wrote:

Regarding treatment, there is a number of medicines that are quite effective
(levamisole, fenbendazole, ivermectin, to name a few) but the treatment must
be directed by a physician.

Birdie wrote:

Her treatment has been directed by a physican and her case reported
to the CDC.

She has been on various western medicines from her physican for
at least a year. The  latest is the most heavy duty of them all, and, they
appear to building an immunity to it - also, she may have an obstruction,
and now they want to perform surgery and scrape her intestines out.

Omar wrote:

I would not trust any of the "exotic" teatments; none of them have proved to
be effective.

Birdie wrote:

Well, the western medicine has not worked and that approach has
been going on for over a year and is leading to surgery.

On the otherhand, countries outside of the US are far far far
more experienced in dealing with this, and while some of these
"exotic" parasites are new to the US, they are old news in places
like Korea.

Therefore, looking outside the US, to countries that have been
dealing with it for a long time makes *perfect* sense to me.

Also, I have been doing research and am finding people who
have had success with powerful herbal remedies.

Last of all, many medicines are derived from plant extracts, so,
I really don't see any difference between a *proven* herbal remedy
and a harsh chemical med, except,  the harsh chemical all american
physican advised and administered med's haven't worked *in this case*

Everything you mentioned is fine, but the truth is, they are not
effective for everyone.

For all we know, these are worms who had a host that was subjected
to these medications and as such...the ova and new worms were
pretty immune.

Whatever the case, my friend is facing surgery, this is a serious
problem, and the western med's have proven to be not effective.

If Black Walnut extract (I think its the tannin), Juniper Berries, and
other herbs that people have used - with success- don't work for her,
then, the surgery will have to be done.

If anyone has any suggestions of ways to eliminate obstructions
caused by worms, without surgery, please feel free to post or e-mail.

Surgery, if it occurs, will happen as a result of nothing else working.

Thanks.....

Birdie