In vitro culture of Toxocara canis L2 larvae

mkorkmaz at med.ege.edu.tr mkorkmaz at med.ege.edu.tr
Tue Oct 14 09:22:07 EST 1997

I am working on toxocariosis and facing some problems. I will
appreciate replies related to my questions listed below.

1. Which culture medium is the best?
2. Why culture medium (RPMI 1640) is supplemented with glucose (1% w/v ?)
3. is it necessary to supplement other culture media such as MEM,
medium 199 with glucose or else?
4. "Oaks JA, Kayes SG (1979). Artificial hatching and culture of
Toxocara canis second stage larvae. J Parasitol. 65(6): 969-970
says.......culture medium containing 10 mg/ml gentamicin sulfate...."
10 mg/ml gentamicine seems to be high. Will lower concentration be
more appropriate?
5. for the concentration of the E/S antigen if I can not provide PM10
filter, are there any other methods you can recommend?
6. can somebody help me finding positive human control sera for
toxocariosis?

Metin Korkmaz

http://med.ege.edu.tr/~mkorkmaz