Face insect

paris paris at merck.com
Mon Jun 9 15:25:31 EST 1997

Oops wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Can anyone out there tell me what is the "face insect"
>   DEMODEX FOLLICULORUM (follicular)?
>
>         What is their lifecycle ?
>
>         How can we get infected ?

> Thank you
>
> Best regard.

Well let me start by saying that Demodex is another term for mites, and
Folliculorum would lead me to believe that these are the hair follicle
mites associated with the eye lashes. The ones I know about are invisible
and are normal to everyone, and usually come out when you are sleeping
and there is no eye lash movement.

I do not know that we can become infected, I thought we all had them,
just like dust mites.

I know there are several larger species associated with animals but I
don't believe we can get infected with Folliculorum from them all the
species identified for animals do not ionclude this species.
Paris

       my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
       sender.