parasitology text recommendations

Stephen G. Kayes kayes at SUNGCG.USOUTHAL.EDU
Thu Jan 11 12:10:43 EST 1996

On 11 Jan 1996, Daniel Ricks wrote:

> I am looking for a good, comprehensive book (or combination of
> books) in Parasitology. I'd like something with good diagrams,
> excellent descriptions of microscopic appearance, and detailed
> information on life cycle and pathogenesis. I am primarily
> interested in human disease, but other mammalian parasites as well.
> Does anyone have good recommendations that might fit this.

Dan:

	There are several books that meet your criteria.  The first is
the 9th edition of Clinical Parasitology  edited by Beaver, Jung, and
Cupp.  It was originally published by Lea & Febiger but I believe this
publishing house has been "acquired" by another.  This has almost
everything you would ever want to know (or not know) about an organism.
The downside, its expensive and many of the illustrations are camera
lucida (which are elegant if you appreciate what it took to do them).

	My favorite less expensive book, and the one I recommend to the
medical students here is the 2nd edition of Katz, Despommier, and Gwadz's
"Parasitic Diseases" from Springer-Verlag.  The life cycle cartoons are
superb and they include indications of the major pathologic lesions
associated with each infection.  Each organism is discussed in about 5
pages or less and as Jack Webb used to say, "Nothing but the facts, Mam,
just the facts.

	I hope this is somewhat useful.  If all else fails, ask your
local librarian to get you a listing of all the current texts that meet
your needs, and then write to the publishers and tell them you would like
to examine a copy of any book that may be of interest.  If you are
considering adopting such a text for course, the book often times is
donated to you when the order from your campus bookstore comes in.

	Cheers:

	Steve

    /\/     /\//\/         /\/      /\/ ! Structural & Cellular Biology !
   /\/     /\//\/         /\/      /\/  ! University of South Alabama   !