Hello All: "Beaver fever?"

Charles T. Faulkner ctfaulkn at utkux.utcc.utk.edu
Mon Apr 1 09:17:45 EST 1996

On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, Michael Casteel wrote:

> lamblia, Giardia muris, Giardia agilis, Giardia psittaci, Giardia
> microtus, G. ondatrae, and G. ardae.... I don't know if the other
> species are known to infect human hosts.

	I know of a case where a parasitologist working with Giardia infected
parrakeets also became infected so there is some basis for assuming
transmission can occur accross different species.

> p.s. Beware of those 'gut' feelings when you are working with
> intestinal protozoa - ha-ha. I know, I know - bad joke.

	When working with intestinal protozoa, particularly those capable
of infecting humans, a good sense of humor is essential to keep the
research in proper perspective, lest you take it or yourself too seriously.