Microscopes

James Mahaffy mahaffy at dordt.edu
Wed Sep 6 14:31:07 EST 1995

I use a hand held one by Swift. It seems to work quite well. I don't have
an oil objective, which you would probably need, but I think it would be
adequate. When I was looking, it seemed to be the only reasonable priced
(about $300 - 10 years ago) one around.  It even has phase objectives,
but I would avoid that.

	Actually I would look to a large microscope dealer and see if you
can get an older student microscope with good objectives that came with
a wooden carrying case.  Many of these had nice mirrors at the bottom
and although they are a little heavier, but I uses some old Unitrons
like this on field trips and find them more useful often than the Swift.
Again, I don't use oil.  Do be sure to ask if there is any loss in the
lenses in a 20+ year old microscope.

	Good luck.

--
: