Coccinellids antagonists

Joachim Dagg joaccigh at w203zrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 1 03:00:54 EST 1995

I'm wondering, whether coccinellids have any antagonists. The imagines
are quite inert. I put one on top of an ant hill (formica polyctena I
guess) and it survived. Like a tank it ran down the hill and every
time it was attaced it made itself round like a hedgehog. The ants had
no chance to ram their mandibles into it and the acid didn't do
anything. Well this was just an observation no scientific experiment.
Another observation is, that coccinellids are bright colored and I
guess they wouldn't be, if any birds ate them. So the eggs and larvae
are the only stadiae (correct plural?) who seem vulnerable.
And a third observation is, they seem to have no diapause, just a
quiescense. Everytime it gets warm, they crawl around. And it's way
too warm this ...(well I wouldn't call it winter) in Germany.
Evidence for or against my observations as well as references to good
literature apeciated. What this has got to do with Parasitology? It's
about poor lice! Joachim