Baylisasacaris

Charles T. Faulkner ctfaulkn at utkux.utcc.utk.edu
Wed Dec 20 09:24:53 EST 1995

On 20 Dec 1995, .Tim Mecham wrote:

> In <s0d6a34d.089 at VETMED.TAMU.EDU> RMCKOWN at VETMED.TAMU.EDU (Richard
> McKown) writes:
> >
> >  In the September 1992 National Geographic, reference is made to
> >Baylisascaris being responsible for the deaths of 3 of 29 West
> >Virginia woodrats released in New York state.  A journal article by
> >Bitch, et al., 1994 in the Transactions of the Illinois State Academy
> >of Science, makes reference to Baylisascaris being a possible
> >contributing factor in woodrat population declines in a number of
> >eastern states.  Does anyone know of any other published references
> >relating to this?  I've tried several abstract sources and can find
> >nothing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Rick.
> >

> Your roundworm of racoon origin is well documented in veterinary
> literature,  I do not have my refrences at hand but look in to
> J.A.V.M.A. (Journal of American Veterinarian Medicine)

	An article on Baylisascaris appeared in the Zoonosis Updates
series in JAVMA  Oct 1, 1989. It has a fairly good bibliography and
references a paper in 1954 on the "fraction of Peromyscus fatalities
caused by raccoon ascarid larvae"  (J. Mammal 34:153-167).  Perhaps this
may be of interest to you.  Seems like there was another paper recently...
1992(?) in Jour of Vet Diagnostic Investigations.   Sounds like you've
got an interesting problem. Hope some of this helps...Good luck!

*      Charles T. Faulkner       *   Get your facts first and then you
*  Univ of Tennessee, Knoxville  *   can distort them as much as you please.
*     (ctfaulkner at utk.edu)       *                Mark Twain