South American Parisites (T. Cruzi)

MICHAEL WHALEY mlwhaley at mci.newscorp.com
Wed Dec 13 13:45:52 EST 1995

Found this address in an article --

Yesterday I gave blood (or attempted to)  I had almost filled up the bag
when the nurse looked at the questioneer I had filled out earlier.  She
asked me if I had done any camping while I was in S. America.  I had spent
56 days in Honduras in 1986 sleeping in floorless tents during an exercise
while assigned to the U.S. Rediness Command. I told her this.  She said that
they could not accept my blood because I might have a parasite
because of my trip to Honduras. She said I should be tested for it and wrote
the Following on a card --> T. Cruzi /  Chaga's Disease  or  babesiosis.

I have given blood many times since 1983 and never heard of this problem

My search on the internet has been sparse and medicine is not my field.
Could you possibly be of some help enlightening me as to this parasite?

                                    Thanks

please reply here or to:  MLWHALEY at DELPHI.COM