Cryptosporidium parvum viability

wick at cris.com wick at cris.com
Thu Dec 7 13:04:47 EST 1995

>   WILSONJ at NER66.NER.ORA.FDA.GOV writes:
>
>  Does anyone know if viability of Cryptosporidium equals infectivity?
>  In other words, does the release of sporozoites from the oocyst mean that they
>  are infectious?

I would also  be interested in knowing the answer to this question. It is my understanding that formalin treatment renders crytpo
oocysts non-viable. Therefore, excystation of sporozoites from formalin treated oocysts would be non-infective.

I am intereseted in why you raise this issue.Jim Wick

E-mail:		wick at cris.com
Phone:		414-871-7199
FAX:		414-871-1273
Snail Mail:	5520 W. Burleigh St.
		Milwaukee, WI 53210

"Don't precipitate more than you can resuspend"