Best DNA extraction kit for plants?

Vince Mulholland Vince.Mulholland at sasa.gov.uk
Thu Nov 18 11:20:43 EST 1999

Guy,

I haven't tried it yet, but QIAGEN have just released details of a
"DNeasy 96 Plant Kit" which they claim will allow you to perform up to
192 DNA isolations in 2 hours. However, to do this you may need to buy
extra items of equipment.

The first is a refrigerated centrifuge capable of spinning 96 well
plates at 5600 X g (they recommend their own centrifuge, of course).

The second is a mixer mill (from Retsch, model MM300) which performs the
tissue disruption. The main difficulty with the mixer mill is that it is
not yet available (probably early next year if they can sort out the
production problems). I could find no alternative mixer mill which could
do the job.

If you contact QIAGEN they will be able to give you more details on
availability and prices of both consumables and equipment needed for
this method.

I have no affiliations to QIAGEN or Retsch.

Vince Mulholland

****
Vincent Mulholland                  Diagnostics & Molecular Biology
Section,
Agency,
E-Mail: Vince.Mulholland at sasa.gov.uk    East Craigs,
Tel:+44(131)2448845 Fax:+44(131)2448912   Edinburgh EH12 8NJ, U.K.
****
Views expressed in this e-mail are not necessarily the views of the
Scottish Agricultural Science Agency.