Native american genetic typing

Brian Foley btf at lanl.gov
Wed Nov 3 14:32:02 EST 1999

Rebecca Chiao wrote:

> Is anyone aware of genetic testing that could indicate that a subject's
> mother was from the Atabaskan Tribe in Alaska, as opposed to from Mexico?

	The Human Genetics Program at the University of Utah, is the
one place that comes to mind.  You might start with this
person:
http://www-genetics.med.utah.edu/section2/sc228frm.html

and ask if he knows more.

> I am an immigration lawyer representing a woman in deportation proceedings.
>  I am trying to follow up on a NY Times article mentioning work by Dr.
> Serfio Pena at the Federal University of Minas Gerais that categorizes four
> main groups of native americans by genetic markings.

----------------
Am J Hum Genet 1999 Feb;64(2):619-28

The central Siberian origin for native American Y chromosomes.

Santos FR, Pandya A, Tyler-Smith C, Pena SD, Schanfield M, Leonard WR,
Osipova L, Crawford MH,
Mitchell RJ

Departamento de Biologia Geral, ICB/UFMG, Caixa Postal 486, 31. 270-910
Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil.
fsantos at mono.icb.ufmg.br fsantos at mono.icb.ufmg.br

----------------
Hum Genet 1996 Mar;97(3):309-13

Geographic differences in the allele frequencies of the human Y-linked
tetranucleotide polymorphism DYS19.

Santos FR, Gerelsaikhan T, Munkhtuja B, Oyunsuren T, Epplen JT, Pena SD

Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Belo
Horizonte, Brazil.

>  I have also heard
> anecdotes about eskimo ear wax and mitochondrial studies of migration but
> need to contact an actual expert.
>
> If you can think of anywhere I can look to for help, please contact me.
> Thank you.  Sincerely,  Becky Chiao

|Brian T. Foley               btf at t10.lanl.gov                 |
|HIV Database                 (505) 665-1970                   |
|Los Alamos National Lab      http://hiv-web.lanl.gov/         |
|Los Alamos, NM 87544  U.S.A.                                  |