Native american genetic typing

Rebecca Chiao rchiao at reed.edu
Tue Nov 2 17:57:56 EST 1999

Is anyone aware of genetic testing that could indicate that a subject's
mother was from the Atabaskan Tribe in Alaska, as opposed to from Mexico?

I am an immigration lawyer representing a woman in deportation proceedings.
 I am trying to follow up on a NY Times article mentioning work by Dr.
Serfio Pena at the Federal University of Minas Gerais that categorizes four
main groups of native americans by genetic markings.  I have also heard
anecdotes about eskimo ear wax and mitochondrial studies of migration but
need to contact an actual expert.

If you can think of anywhere I can look to for help, please contact me.
Thank you.  Sincerely,  Becky Chiao