basic question

Pete Dunkelberg pdunkel at intellistar.net
Thu Feb 18 11:17:38 EST 1999

"SH at OLIN©" <W.J.Koning at chem.uu.nl> wrote:

>For the process of evolution DNA must become more complicated.
Most of the variation comes from recombination.

>"What processes make DNA MORE complicated?"

I'm not sure about 'more complicated' but various things make more DNA.
One is gene duplication.  The duplicate genes may then evolve
independently, and the two may come to work together and depend on each
other.  Then there is chromosome duplication.  For a good discussion of
changes in chromosome number, see:
http://x11.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=432007852.1
in 3 parts.
I recall (not for sure) that about 1 person in 1000 has an extra
chromosome.  Is that correct, anyone?

You might send the question to sci.bio.evolution, or even talk.origins
if you are a glutton for punishment.

Pete