Significance of Pi

John M. Hawdon john.hawdon at yale.edu
Wed Feb 17 11:11:54 EST 1999

Hello,

	I am a struggling newbie to the molecular evolution field, and I was
wondering what exactly is the significance of a particular genetic
distance value?  Is this essentially a "percentage difference" estimate,
corrected for multiple hits, so that a value of say 0.03 means that the
sequences are recently divergent, whereas a value of 0.5 indicates a
longer period since a common ancestor?

Thanks for your help.
--
John M. Hawdon, Ph.D.