Sequence Diversion Numbers - What do they Mean

James O. McInerney james.o.mcinerney at may.ie
Thu Feb 11 11:24:42 EST 1999

Paul,

You are almost there at this stage.  Yes you are correct in all of what
you have said.  Unfortunately we have an additional problem if we want
to estimate the number of substitutions that have occurred since two
sequences have shared their most recent common ancestor.  This problem
lies in those substitutions that have occurred in the same place more
than once...superimposed substitutions or "Multiple hits" at the same site.

We try to reconstruct the number of substitutions that probably occurred
by transforming the "observed" number of differences using some kind of
Log-normal transformation (although there are other methods).

What does this mean?  Well if we observe 5% difference, then the log
transformation might say that the _real_ number of substitutions that
probably occurred was, say, 5.5% (numbers off the top of my head).  If
we observe a difference of 20 percent, then the transformation might
predict that the _real_ number of substitutions was 30%, if the observed
was 75%, then the transformed might be 250% (or an average of 2.5 'hits'
per site).

What have we seen?  Well the transformation generally gives more and
more of a correction as the sequences diverge.  When the sequences are
reasonably closely related, the chance for superimposed substitutions is
quite small, but as the sequences diverge, then the chance for multiple
hits increases drammatically.

suggested reading:

Rod Page and Eddie Holmes new book (oh, crap, I can't remember the
name). Published by Sinauer, I think.

Molecular systematics 2nd edition. edited by Hillis et al., published by
Sinauer Associates. (particularly the phylogeny reconstruction chapter)

Hope this helps,

James

--
             Dr. James O. McInerney,
Dept. Biology,                       Dept. Zoology,
email james.o.mcinerney at may.ie       j.mcinerney at nhm.ac.uk