Cladistics and Phylogenetic trees from sequences

Mike Syvanen syvanen at ucdavis.edu
Thu Feb 11 13:06:16 EST 1999

fatherdes at hotmail.com wrote:

> I detect a cooling off these days and a coming together as ML methods become
> more practical and influential.  Maybe everyone sees these as a way of going
> forward without giving in to the other side.  Personally, I imagine Ml methods
> will become more and more widely used and with good reason but parsimony and
> distance methods still have their uses.
>
> Des Higgins
> Department of Biochemistry
> University College
> Cork Ireland

Please correct an impression that I have carried around.  I do not use ML
methods, but after once hearing it described, I thought it worked on the same
assumptions as did the traditional distance methods.  Hence, there are just two
categories of methods -- namely distance and parsimony.  If this view is not
correct, could someone provide a reference that describes ML (in grammatical
sentences) and contrasts it to distance and parsimony methods.

Thanks

Mike Syvanen