intron degrading

S=F8ren Schandorff sschandorf at aki.ku.dk
Thu Apr 16 10:04:40 EST 1998

Hi,

Does anybody know how introns (and particular spliceosomal/nuclear)
introns are degraded. I find it an interessting point when trying to
understand the evolution of introns. Especially in terms of the
potential evolution of informationRNA (Prof. John Mattick).

I understand that the degradation of at least selfsplicing introns
involves debranching enzymes and is coupled to the debranching process.

But is that all?=20
Are introns stable until the degradation of the lariat?
Are the degrading process closely linked to the final parts of the
splicing?

Please also reply directly : sschandorff at aki.ku.dk

Thanks,

Soeren Schandorff