18th ICG, Kunming Satellite Conference

Haipeng Li ypzhang at ms.kmb.ac.cn
Tue Apr 14 10:36:26 EST 1998

Dear Colleague,

The 18th International Congress of Genetics (18th ICG)=20
Kunming Satellite Conference will be held in Kunming,=20
Yunnan Province of China, August 16-18, 1998.

The theme of the Kunming Satellite Conference is=20
"Genetics and Conservation of Biodiversity".=20
Under this theme, three symposia =96 Plants and=20
Microbe, Animals and Human =96 will be set to discuss=20
population genetics, evolutionary genetics, conversation=20
genetics and other related fields openly and deeply.

If you can't attend this meeting, you can still join in our=20
discussion. Please read the relative item in FAQ.

If you want to get more, please visit our homepage posted=20
on the website of Molecular Biology and Evolution.

http://www.hgc.sph.uth.tmc.edu/others/kunming/

Sincerely,

Organization Committee

P.S.

Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ)
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
(LAST REVISION: Mar/26/1998)

Kunming Satellite Conference

     Post-Congress Meeting of the 18th International=20
     Congress of Genetics (18th ICG)

August 16-18,1998
Kunming, Yunnan Province, P. R. China
Subject: Genetics and Conservation of Biodiversity

Website: http://www.hgc.sph.uth.tmc.edu/others/kunming/

<            >
  >  NEWs   <
<            >

DON'T YOU WANT TO KNOW THE DISCUSSION IN DETAIL IF YOU
CAN'T ATTEND IT. Please read the 9th Question in FAQ.

If you have any questions and suggestions, please=20
contact us directly in time.

E-mail address: ypzhang at ms.kmb.ac.cn
             or zhangyp at public.km.yn.cn

    Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ) Contents

1) Why is the Satellite Conference held in Kunming?
2) What is the relationship between Satellite Conference
   and Main Congress in Beijing?
3) Can I register both of them at one time?
4) How to get the registration form and abstract form?
5) Where is Kunming?
6) How to get to Kunming?
7) How to fill in  registration and abstract forms?
8) How to pay the registration fee and others?
9) How to get the information on discussion in this meeting
   (Aug. 16 - 18, 1998)?
10) About financial aid
11) The list of invited speakers

1) WHY IS THE SATELLITE CONFERENCE HELD IN KUNMING?
   Satellite Conference will focus on the Genetics and=20
 Conservation of Biodiversity, and three symposia on population=20
 genetics, evolutionary genetics, conservation genetics and other=20
 related subject will be involved, while the topic of Main Congress
 in Beijing (Aug. 10-15, 1998) is Genetics -- Better Life for All.
   Considering that Yunnan is the home of a third of all China's=20
 ethnic minorities and half of all China's plant and animal=20
 species, the Satellite Conference is going to be held in Kunming,=20
 the capital of Yunnan Province.

2) WHAT IS THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SATELLITE CONFERENCE AND=20
  MAIN CONGRESS IN BEIJING?
   Kunming Satellite Conference is a part of Main Congress in=20
 Beijing, however, you must register respectively. You can=20
 arrange your schedules to attend the Satellite only, or both the=20
 Congress and the Satellite, according to your time and interest.=20

3) CAN I REGISTER BOTH OF THEM AT ONE TIME?
   No, you can't.=20
   Please register them respectively. Send registration form of
 Kunming Satellite Conference to=20
 ypzhang at ms.kmb.ac.cn=20
  or
 Ya-Ping Zhang
 Lab of Cellular and Molecular Evolution
 Kunming Institute of Zoology
 Kunming, 650223
 P. R. China

 Send that of Main Congress to
 Ms. Cuiling Lan
 XVIIIth International Congress of Genetics Secretariat
 Center for International Scientific Exchanges, CAS
 52 Sanlihe Rd., Beijing 100864, China
 E-mail: hy-cise at mail.cashq.ac.cn

4) HOW TO GET THE REGISTRATION FORM AND ABSTRACT FORM?
  You can fill in them on our homepages posted on the web site of
 Molecular Biology Evolution and submit them to us.

 http://www.hgc.sph.uth.tmc.edu/others/kunming/

   Or you can send a require to us via e-mail if you want a=20
 photocopy of them. We can send them to you from post office.=20
 But it will take some time.
   Or we can give two documents formatted as MS Word (PC and Mac=20
 machine) or text via e-mail. Then you can print them on your=20
 printer.
   Our e-mail address is: ypzhang at ms.kmb.ac.cn

5) WHERE IS KUNMING?
    Kunming is the capital of Yunnan province, which lies in the
 south-west of China.

6) HOW TO GET TO KUNMING?
   It's very convenient to get to Kunming, Yunnan Province. If you
 are going to attend Main Congress in Beijing, you can follow our
 guide to Kunming. It's about two-hour flight. One-way ticket is
 about RMB 1,450.00 ($170.00) from Beijing to Kunming, and the
 fee must be paid by yourself. Moreover, you also can get to
 Kunming via Shanghai, Hong Kong in China.
   If you want more details, please contact us directly.

7) HOW TO FILL THE REGISTRATION AND ABSTRACT FORM?
   If you want to visit our homepages, please use Netscape 3.0,
 MS Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher version. After you fill the
 registration or abstract form, just kick "Submit". After we
 receive them, we will contact you within FIVE working days. If
 you fill a photocopy of registration and abstract form, please
 make sure to fill them clearly.
   We suggest that you send your abstract to us by electrical
 methods, for example via e-mail or our homepages. This can avoid
 some errors and save time.

8) HOW TO PAY THE REGISTRATION FEE AND OTHERS?
  All payment including fees for registration, hotel
 accommodation, and social programs, is acceptable in the
 following ways,
     -- by bank transfer to=20
        Yunnan Genetic Society.=20
        Account Number 14824041098,=20
        Kunming Branch, Bank of China=20
     --by check to=20
       Ya-ping Zhang
       Yunnan Genetic Society,=20
       Yunnan University,=20
       Kunming, Yunnan, 650223, China

   All payment must be in US Dollars. Please send us a copy of the
 receipt of bank transfer, and remember to take a copy for your
 own records.

   Note: No bank transfer and check payment be accepted after May 31,
 1998. Please pay cash at the registration desk after this date.

9) HOW TO GET THE INFORMATION ON DISCUSSION IN THIS MEETING
  (AFTER AUG. 16, 1998)?
   If you can't attend this important conference and have interest
 in it, you can just send an e-mail to us, and put "List in News"
 into subject. Then, we can send the discussions on the conference
 to you, and you can also reply some questions or say "No" on=20
 someone's viewpoints. Your replies will be posted on Meeting
 Center.

10) ABOUT FINANCIAL AID
     Organization Committee will NOT provide any financial support=20
to anyone except invited speakers because our limited budget.=20
However, we can provide cheaper hotel room on your request, it=92s=20
$15.00 ~ 35.00 per night. And if you want a roommate, please inform=20
us and this will save more dollars for you.  If you want it, please=20
inform us.=20

Standard Level of Hotel Room: [ ] $15.00   [ ] $25.00   [ ] $35.00

Do you want a roommate?       [ ] Yes      [ ] No=20

  Registration fee:
  Regular participants                     $150.00
  Registration on Aug. 16, 1998            $200.00
  Students and Graduate Students           $120.00
  Accompanying Person                      $60.00

11) THE LIST OF INVITED SPEAKERS

 Wen-Hsiung Li, University of Texas ( USA )

 Robert W. Murphy, Royal Ontario Museum ( Canada )

 Oliver A. Ryder, Zoological Society of San Diego ( USA )

 Chung-I Wu, University of Chicago ( USA )

 Robert K. Moyzis, Center for Human Genome Studies, Las Alamos( USA )

 Ranajit Chakraborty, University of Texas ( USA )