Heuristic searches

newsmgr at merrimack.edu newsmgr at merrimack.edu
Mon Apr 13 18:56:57 EST 1998

Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.evolution
Subject: Re: Heuristic searches
From: harshman.diespamdie at sjm.infi.net (John Harshman)
Date: 12 Apr 1998 21:05:12 GMT

In article <6gdsie$jmv at net.bio.net>, "Dr. Andrew G. McArthur"
<mcarthur at onyx.si.edu> wrote:

> Colleagues & Dr. Sikes,
>
> This is indeed a valid and useful method, one that I have been using for
> some time.  The bonus in speed is wonderful.  By limiting replicates to
> keeping only a small number of trees in memory (I use 20), the random
> replicates search gathers a good sampling of the various parsimonious
> islands.  These islands have not been searched extensively - tree #21 may
> have swapped to a more parsimonious topology.  But, by keeping the trees in
> memory and doing exhaustive TBR swapping on them in a second heurstic
> search, you ensure that PAUP will find all parsimonious trees instead of
> just getting stuck in a single island.  This approach gives you a good
> coverage of the parsimony surface while still being robust.

This method is advocated and used by lots of people, including the
Maddision brothers. I use it too, and I set the number even lower, usually
from 2 to 5. If you want to spend more time, it's better to add random
addition replicates than to increase the number of trees per replicate.

You should find it easy to locate many papers that use or advocate this
method. Try searching Systematic Biology for the last several years. I
particularly remember the paper in which the data for human mtDNA
sequences were reanalyzed.

> At 10:16 AM 4/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >To those experienced with heuristic searching using PAUP*:
> >
> >I have stumbled upon what seems to be a means by which shortest trees can
> >be found far quicker and with high confidence than by the method I
> >previously used.
[...]

--

Just a couple more things:
   *Note the obvious spam-defeating modification