Evolution and Environmentalism

Dylan NICHOLSON dnich at cat.cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri Sep 12 22:44:32 EST 1997

Tracy Maurer <tmaurer at ameritech.net> writes:

>but evolution doesn't eventually point toward some kind of 'there can be
>only one' scenario. rather, there are more and more new species all the
>time. from a single organism to billions of different ones. it's
>presumptuous to even think homo sapiens sapiens is the end of the chain
>- we're a 'young' species, and mammals tend to be flashes in the
>evolutionary pan. right at this moment there might be the first of a
>generation of sentient basset hounds living next door and plotting your
>doom.

Somewhat unlikely, methinks. And in all objectivity, you must admit that
mankind is probably the most extraordinary thing evolution has turned out
so far...not necessarily the end of the chain, but with a good chance of
making itself so.

Dylan

..yes I *do* know how to write signature files, but I just can't be
bothered really...