what is alive?

Mario Vaneechoutte Mario.Vaneechoutte at rug.ac.be
Fri Sep 13 14:53:18 EST 1996

Ed Rybicki wrote:
> For me, it's simple: it's not replicating; like fire, it is simply
> propagating a chemical reaction which varies according to its
> substrate; therefore, it is not alive.

Strange, according to the definition I favour: 'Life or living
information is that information which is capable of make more material
instantiations of itself by copying already existing instantiations of
itself', prions are alive. It came as a surprise that something else
than  DNA-RNA could replicate on its own and by a completely different
mechanism, but prions fit the definition of 'life' I stick to.
All depends on the definition of course, still this one allows for a
clear cut between living and nonliving information.

Indeed, as Mike O'Hara points out: it is sufficient that an initial
instantiation somehow originates to start an instoppable proces: prions
keep transforming normal proteins into prion proteins. Compare to wrong
information (oral, printed, in the media, on the net): once it got
started, you can't withdraw it. Only a few copies can be abolished, but
the other copies keep going on copying. That's life. It's a cancer.

(Sorry if a similar posting reaches you. At the moment I can't see the
first one in the Newsgroup, so I try again).

PS. Maybe prions can be considered as a new form of life, which
originated much later than DNA-RNA-protein life, and which could exist
as a parasite on this predominant form of life. This is different than
DNA-RNA-protein parasitic species, which are derived from
DNA-RNA-protein organisms.

Mario Vaneechoutte
Laboratory Bacteriology & Virology
Blok A, De Pintelaan 185