Population genetic question

Stefano Leonardi stefano at eagle.bio.unipr.it
Wed Nov 22 12:59:35 EST 1995

A population genetic question.

In population genetics F(st) can be considered the "among" populations
component of genetic variation.

I would like to know if there is any "mathematical" or simply
"logical" relationship between F(st) parameter and results of
discriminant analysis performed on allele frequency data.

I have studied three groups of forest tree populations. Discriminant
analysis on allele frequencies gives very good results and 100% of
populations was classified in the right group.

On the other hand, mean F(st) value (within group among populations)
is significantly different in the three groups. In other words,
populations of the first group are more differentiated than those of
the second group, which in turn are more differentiated than those of
the third group. We have interpreted this pattern as a consequence of
drift.

Did these two analyses reveal the same pattern? Is the second result
simply a consequence of the first result?

Can anyone help me? Is there any appropriate bibliography reference?

Thank you in advance.

 Stefano Leonardi
 Istituto di Ecologia            E-mail: stefano at eagle.bio.unipr.it
 Universita' di Parma                        Phone : ++39-521-905 612
 Viale delle Scienze                         Fax   : ++39-521-905 402
 43100 PARMA  (Italy)