removing columns from phylip infiles

Ben S. Hadad hadad at Angelique.org
Thu Nov 16 00:33:00 EST 1995

In article <47l8ns$441 at lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk>,
Jeremy Packer  <jclp100 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>I often encounter the situation where I want to use only part of a
>sequence alignment as a phylip infile. (for example to exclude all
>postions where there is a gap in any of the sequences or where the
>alignment appears uncertain). Until recently we had an editor which
>could remove columns or blocks of columns from selected lines of the
>alignment to generate the input file. Sadly it was very obsolete and the
>only machine which could run it has died. Does anyone know of an editor
>which can do this? We are mainly using Macs, but also have access to PCs
>and UNIX( via telnet).
Well, colrm is about the closest unix utility I know of...it
chops columns out of files, but I don't know of any way to
restrict what lines are included by it...If you wish to *buy*
a program that'll do this, I know of one for DOS or Windows called
Multi-edit of which I am quite fond; runs 100 or so bucks tho.
An excellent programmer's editor.

Ben

hadad at cs.uh.edu
hadad at neosoft.com