forgt subject & conf. -> evolution is NOT =math.

Kaj Stenberg kstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI
Thu Jun 1 22:39:28 EST 1995

Unfortunately I read the news with 39+ fewer, I do not remember where I
found the discussion about the mutability and interchangability of amino
acids. One thing that striked me (originally not my idea, but one of
Michael Szardenings, presently in Berlin) is that the discussion seems to
acceept a change from one aa to an other as a statistical approach. This
however is a very unbiological approach. Still having pneumonia I would
say that aa:s can not be seen to bee on equal terms to any other aa. If
some intermediate code (between original and better) is terribly bad,
the new one (no matter how good it is) has a tough barrier to cross.