SSU gene

Andrew Cockburn afc at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu
Thu Sep 22 08:50:22 EST 1994

In article <1994Sep21.220535.7082 at emba.uvm.edu>, ayezersk at moose.uvm.edu (Ann M. Yezerski) writes:
> I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, but can anyone out
> there tell me about the SSU gene?  Specifically, I am wondering if this
> title of SSU is just a general term for any gene that is concerned with
> the small subunit of rRNA (i.e. 16S, 5.8S, etc.).  In other words, can the
> 18S gene and the SSU gene be the same thing when listed in genebank?
> Please reply by e-mail if possible:
>
> ayezersk at moose.uvm.edu
>
> Thanks,
> Ann Yezerski
> UVM Zoology Dept.

SSU refers to the main structural RNA of the small ribosomal subunit.
It does not refer to the 5.8S, 7S, 5S or any other minor component.

The LSU/SSU terminology is used because it avoids the complications of
homologous RNAs from different organisms (or organelles) having different
lengths and hence different Svedberg units.  For example, is 16S rRNA
the LSU from a bacterium or the SSU from a eucaryote (the answer is both).

Andrew Cockburn
USDA/ARS