Homoplasy excess ratio maxi

Warren Lamboy warren_lamboy at qmrelay.mail.cornell.edu
Thu Sep 22 13:02:58 EST 1994

                       Subject:                               Time:19:17
  OFFICE MEMO          Homoplasy excess ratio maximum and...
Date:21/09/1994

Does anyone know of a publication where a formula is given that allows for
the actual calculation of either the HOMOPLASY EXCESS RATIO MAXIMUM [of
Archie, 1989] or the (ENSEMBLE) RETENTION INDEX [of Farris, 1989] for
multistate characters?  Computation of these quantities is straightforward
for binary characters, but I have been unable to either find or derive a
general computational method for multistate characters having either ordered
or unordered character states.  I will acknowledge any assistance you may be
able to provide.  Thanks.  -

Warren Lamboy