Eye evolution

Keith Robison robison at nucleus.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 20 08:14:14 EST 1994

Hallick Lab (hallick_lab at TIKAL.BIOSCI.ARIZONA.EDU) wrote:
:                       Eye evolution
: Hello.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find information
: about the evolution of eyes?  Next Wednesday I am giving a departmental
: journal club on a recent Science article (Science 265:785 1994).  This
: article provides molecular evidence for a common evolutionary origin for
: vetebrate and invertebrate eyes.  I have been able to find background
: information for the molecular and developmental aspects of this paper, but I
: am having a terrible time finding references for the evolutionary
: information.  I have no background in evolutionary studies, so I don't have a
: good idea where to look.

Richard Dawkins wrote a News & Views article on eye evolution in
Nature this Spring -- mostly commenting on the recent simulation
of a light-sensitive spot evolving into an eye, but I think
the reference list may help you some.

Good luck!

Keith Robison
Harvard University