NEW SOFTWARE (WAS Re: contact address for HENNIG86)

harley at uctvax.uct.ac.za harley at uctvax.uct.ac.za
Mon Sep 19 10:32:40 EST 1994

IIn article <CwC05F.sw at zoo.toronto.edu>, mes at zoo.toronto.edu (Mark Siddall) writes:

> F.Y.I.  there is new software to look for vis molecular phylogeny
> reconstruction.
>
> At Hennig XIII in Copenhagen, Farris presented "RNA" (Rapid Nucleotide
>Do you haveet Analysis)
I presume you have to get this direct from Farris ?

> Mark
>
> P.S.  Any interest in my posting the titles from the molecular section
> of the meeting?
Mark - how do you distribute your humble package - random Cladt(?)istics ? I
would be interested in a copy - would you like to swop for my latest version
of SEvoNA, which either imports or generates 'DNA' sequences and allows them
to evolve (each codon pos separately) in either pectinate or symetrically
dichotomous fashion into up to 30 progeny with features such as transition
bias, variable internodal distances, variable rates in dif parts of the tree,
fossil taxa, etc, etc, with output of results formatted appropriately for
HENNIG86, PAUP, MEGA etc so you can see how well they do in reconstructing your
known tree ? Its a good way of gaining insight into eg the frequency of
homoplasies (horrifying with a high transition bias), the doubtful value of
distant outgroups etc. And what was your opinion on the objectivity of the
participants ? At the previous meeting I attended this was not greatly in
evidence !